Thursday, September 13, 2012

Let Ronaldo Be

Cristiano Ronaldo - Real Madrid v Barcelona - Supercopa 

I have come to appreciate what Ronaldo is to Real Madrid. Yes, Messi is the greatest of all time but Ronaldo is not too far away back. I would love to see that recognized by some major personal trophy. It would be a travesty in all honesty if he would start descending from his prime without having won some more of personal trophies like the player of the year. I am elated that Iniesta has won it, I don't think I have ever seen a player waltz through opponents in so much style and ease like hot knife through butter since Laudrup. But had it been Ronaldo, I would have applauded just as much. And this argument about him being less likeable with a bad attitude, I don't buy it. If there is one player I would ask a young footballer to try emulate in terms of hard work, focus and sheer will to succeed, it has to be Ronaldo. He might not have that silky skill of Ronaldinho, Messi or Iniesta but...I always get the feeling that what he has is all him, and nothing blessed naturally from above, just pure sweat and belief. Furthermore, if you want to reward individuals for their saintly demeanor, you are on the wrong track on a football pitch, try your luck in a monastery, where still you wont be guaranteed of a saint either.He doesn't have to be a victim of critisicm just because he is a symbol of coolness. Compared to say Mohamed Ali, CR7 is a Mother Theresa in terms of narcissism and big-mouth, but don't we all say he is the Greatest?

No comments:

Post a Comment